Lee Hall. 1909. Beaux Arts.Lee Hall, built in 1909 in the Beaux Arts style, was named for Stephen Dill Lee, the first president of the university. Lee Hall was built as an academic building and chapel. In the early years, it served as the main administration building and has since been home to the Office of the President, English and Foreign Language departments, and the Student Counseling Center. In October of 1948 a fire broke out on the roof where construction workers had been working with tar. The fire destroyed the fourth floor and most of the third floor. Damages were estimated at $1 million. Repair work began almost immediately after the fire, and Lee Hall was restored to its old form. Lee Hall is also home to the Bettersworth Auditorium which regularly hosts international performers as part of the Lyceum Series.