Located at the Center of the MSU campus, the Drill Field is a popular gathering place for students. When Mississippi A&M was founded in 1878 it was founded as a land grant institution. Early ROTC cadets would have morning and evening drill in this area of campus, therefore earning the name we know today – the Drill Field. Today, students use this open green space for various activities, including a back to school pep rally, called "The Drill," held each year on the first day of fall classes.
The Drill Field is defined at its north and south ends by the mirror-image buildings, Lee Hall (the original University building, now the division of languages building, far left in picture below) and Swalm Hall (home to the Dave C. Swalm School of Chemical Engineering, far right in picture below). Old Main was the original dormitory, west of Lee Hall; it burned in a tragic fire, and was replaced by the Colvard Student Union. The largest building fronting the Drill Field is Mitchell Memorial Library (immediately to right of flagpole in picture below).