Mississippi State University

Table of Contents

Locations

  1. Monuments and Memorials

    1. Metal Benches & Stands (The Hitchhiker Stand)

      This metal bench and stand is located at the intersection of Lee Boulevard and Walker Road and was donated by the Senior Classes of 1948 & 1949, and is inscribed with the same. In the years around World War II, when few students had vehicles, this structure was one of three such structures dispersed along what was then MS Highway 12. the locations of the other identical stands were south of Turman Field House, to the West; and the corner of University Drive and Hardy Road to the East. Men wishing to “hitch a ride” would stand at these Hitch-Hiker stands to hail rides home for the weekend or to the “W” in Columbus, since that was where most of the women were!