Lee Hall. 1909. Beaux Arts. Named for Stephen Dill Lee, the first president of the university, Lee Hall was built as an academic building and chapel. In the early years, it served as the main administration building housing the President, his secretary, the registrar, the comptroller, and the commandant of cadets. Also, up to 150 classes were conducted there daily. In October of 1948 a fire broke out on the roof where construction workers had been working with tar. The fire destroyed the fourth floor and most of the third floor. Damages were estimated at $1 million. Repair work began almost immediately after the fire, and Lee Hall was restored to its old form. The building reopened in 2014 after receiving a $21 million dollar renovation. Today, this grand building houses the English Department, Foreign Languages, President's Office, and Provost's Office.